Surprisingly the strawberries did very well even as the bales are half the size they were when we started.
1. There is definitely an odor all summer long as these bales break down biologically.
2. Held moisture well
3. Tomatoes loved them but Spinach and other crops did not do well.
4. Compost (worm) tea did help in July.
5. Nutrients were lacking without adding compost elements.
6. Real mess to clean up at the end of the year.
I would not recommend putting these on your patio as being suggested on many sites online.